March Bee Blocks and BoMs

It’s the end of March, and I finished my March Bee Block and BoMs!

First up is the block for Stash bee, hive #12.  Jennifer requested the Arizona block from the We Can Do It! Skill Builder Sampler at Sewn by Leila.  She wanted orange and turquoise, so I hope she likes this block πŸ™‚  I think I am going to have to make another one of these in my colors!

Arizona quilt block
Up next, I am still working my way through the 2013 Lucky Stars BoM.  Below is the March 2013 block.  I had the absolute worst time with this block.  I don’t blame the instructions, it was completely me.  It seemed every piece of fabric I could cut wrong, I did.  Or sew on backwards.  Or run out of the fabric less than halfway through the block.  
Let’s just say I was very happy when this was done.  I am also convinced there is any easier way to get this look than the way this block was done.  If I didn’t have such a terrible experience doing it, I would probably figure out the easier way.  Instead, I just plan to have this be the one and only time I ever do this block.  
March 2013 Lucky Stars BoM
I am also doing other blocks for the sampler as I see ones that I like.  This is the January 2013 Aurifil BoM.  
Aurifil January 2013 BoM
I think this one puts me at 11 total… I did the math, and I think I need 36 with the sashing I want to get it the size I want.  Almost 1/3 of the way done!

14 Replies to “March Bee Blocks and BoMs”

  1. OOh I like your block this month….I’m in Hive #1 and having a fab time…at least you’ve started your 2013 Lucky Stars mine are all in a file on my computer….the whole year!!

    1. Thank you! I’m glad to “meet” someone else from the Stash Bee. I’m really enjoying the bee too! It’s been great to push myself out of my comfort zone to try new techniques and color combos.

      And it’s never to late to start Lucky Stars! I bought it last year thinking spending the money would force me to do them and learn to paper piece…. Obviously it didn’t work for 2013, but I’m on pace to actually finish it this year πŸ™‚

  2. Wow! Oh my goodness – that’s kind of a convoluted way for them to plot that star’s pattern. I wonder if the corners were too hard to sew neatly if they plotted it as 4 triangles to keep the long slants as one piece? The fabrics are so nice together for both of your own blocks, and I’m really digging what you did for the turquoise and orange block. Never would have thought of that combo, but now I’m wishing I could indulge in putting a quilt together in it. πŸ™‚

    1. I think it’s an odd way to construct it as well. The only advantage I see is that you can do two fabrics in the bigger outside section, but you could easily do that by piecing if you wanted to by doing it more smartly. Oh well, it’s done, and mostly looks good. I keep telling myself that I won’t notice the section that annoys me when it’s in a queen sized quilt.

      I’m also excited to see the turquoise and orange quilt when it’s completed. I love bees that push me to try new things :), even if it’s just a color combo.

Leave a Reply