I’m on a streak… two weeks in a row of actually keeping track of what I’ve done. I also feel good doing something creative most days. I am taking inspiration from a book – Victoria Findlay Wolfe (aka V aka Bumblebeans), 15 Minutes of Play- a goal to create even if it is just for 15-30 minutes a day. I am trying to do that, but some days it’s harder than others.
Finished this week:
Bibs. These are a little big for a newborn, but cute and will be used soon enough. I used the pattern from Chickpea Sewing Studio. Most have flannel as the back and I used snaps for all of them.
Tag Blanket. These are my go to baby shower gifts, so I figured I should also make one for my own little girl. I love the combination of flannel and minky. The ribbons all have different textures, and will hopefully be well loved.
Boppy Covers. The first one I made is the top one. I used the pattern and tutorial from Vanilla Joy. My only changes were to take in the top outside curves a little and I didn’t pre-wash my fabrics because I wanted it to shrink a little to fit better. The second one I attempted to improve and do my own thing. I hope to eventually make a version that I like better – for example I added a strip in the middle portion that stretches because I think it will hold up in the long run better than the seam in the tutorial and used an invisible zipper in the back seam portion so it won’t hit my legs. However, my design is still not where I want it to be and you can’t beat the ease of the already ready to go one from Vanilla Joy.
Quick Change Trousers from Anna Marie Horner’s “Handmade Beginnings”. Pants were next on my to do list as I teach myself how to make clothes. The pattern was fairly easy although time consuming due to having to get up, sit down, pin, iron, read directions, repeat times both sides of the pants. I can see doing them again, but assembly line style – it would be multiple pairs of these pants to make it go more quickly. They are very nice because they are reversible and all the seams are enclosed. Due to being reversible, they are a little heavy so hopefully they will be fine in warmer weather. I made these from the DS Quilts fabric collection.
Baby! My sweet girl was born on Monday. I’m fairly certain that is the end of productivity as I know it, yet totally worth it 🙂
Out to Sea Quilt back. Does pulling fabrics count?
Quilt Backs for the rest of my quilt fronts. I started sewing together strips for the back of my “Plan C” quilt. Moving more toward the back burner temporarily, but it still needs to get done.
Quilt Backs. Moving more toward the back burner temporarily, but it still needs to get done.
Headbands. No change. I have a horrible fear that my baby girl will have no hair, so I want at least a couple headbands ready to go.
Charity quilts. No change. I have one ready to be quilted, and fabric set aside for three more. I have baby on the brain though, so it is hard for me to concentrate on non-baby projects.
I’m starting to get my sewing mojo back so to celebrate, I’m linking up to WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I’m also ridiculously pregnant so sewing keeps my mind off how uncomfortable I am.
Finished this Week:
Snuggler. I know not every baby likes swaddling, and I already have multiple muslin blankets to use for swaddling, but when I found the patter for Lotta Jandotter’s Snuggler I couldn’t help myself and had to make it immediately. The fabric is Echino linen, the selvage says train. I bought it awhile ago with a purpose and now love it for baby accessories although since it is true linen, I can’t use it for anything that will actually touch the baby. I used flannel for the inside because it is too warm in North Carolina (even in winter) to use the fleece called for in the pattern.
Baby Dress. Continuing on a baby theme, I made the Little Geranium pattern in 0-3 months. The pattern is by Made by Rae, and was a fantastic pattern considering I have never made a piece of clothing before in my entire life. The fabric is from the Lisette collection at JoAnn’s Fabric and is a “voile”. I am definitely going to buy the full pattern and be making more of these in the future.
Out to Sea Quilt Top. This started as a improv log cabin, but I’m blaming pregnancy brain on it turning into a bizarre cross between the coloring of a log cabin and the pattern of courthouse steps. It’s not exactly what I pictured, but I’m still pleased with how it turned out. Now to do a back for it….
Quick Change Trousers from Anna Marie Horner’s “Handmade Beginnings”. Pants are next on my to do list as I teach myself how to make clothes.
Quilt Backs. As I opened my closet where I store finished quilt tops, I realized that I have five quilt tops that don’t have backs ready for quilting. I plan to start dedicating more of my time to improving my quilting skills, so I need to get these backs done ASAP.
Headbands. I have a horrible fear that my baby girl will have no hair, so I want at least a couple headbands ready to go.
Out to Sea Quilt Back. Must…finish…quilt back… so I can quilt this! This quilt back is also my February task for “A Lovely Year of Finishes” over at Bittersweet Designs.
Charity quilts. I have one ready to be quilted, and fabric set aside for three more. I have baby on the brain though, so it is hard for me to concentrate on non-baby projects.
Baby! This little girl’s due date is today, so hopefully she will be making an appearance soon.